Home
11/21/2017 7:55:03 AM

Toddler undergoes 18 operations a year for horrific burns after swallowing small lithium battery from TV remote control

A toddler who swallowed a tiny battery has undergone multiple surgeries as doctors battle to save his life.

Emmett Rauch, two, swallowed a lithium battery from a remote control and has since had 18 surgeries in the past year at Phoenix Children"s Hospital in Arizona.

His mother Karla Rauch said no one saw Emmett swallow the battery and the first symptoms he had were similar to a cold.

She said: "Batteries start burning in the oesophagus within two hours and it was in him we think about three days."

The toddler has had four inches of his oesophagus removed after the acid from the battery burned two holes through it.

He has also suffered multiple cases of collapsed lung and had close to 200 X-rays. He has spent more than 19 weeks of his young life in the pediatric ICU.

The batteries are so dangerous because they don"t have as much casing as an AA battery.

Little fighterEmmett Rauch  two  has endured surgeries under year after swallowed lithium battery his home Phoenix  Arizona

Constant worry The boy mother Karla Rauch said first his symptoms appeared like common cold
Constant worry: The boy"s mother Karla Rauch said at first his symptoms appeared like a common cold

Household lithium battery was lodged Emmett Rauch throat for three days

xray

Toddler undergoes 18 operations a year for horrific burns after swallowing small lithium battery from TV remote controlToddler undergoes 18 operations a year for horrific burns after swallowing small lithium battery from TV remote control

loading comments...